Monday, October 13, 2008

My rice will never be the same.

I love rice.mexican rice

There, I said it.

Last night was taco night and I decided to try a new recipe for mexican rice...Since I don't have the patience to follow recipes and I was missing a handful of the listed ingredients I looked up a few online and meshed them together to make my own. It was a hit and I may never have plain rice again.

In case you'd like to try it or doctor your own, here's what I did...

1 cup of white rice
1 can (approx 1.75 cups) of Muir Glenn fire roasted diced tomatoes w/ green chilis
2 garlic cloves
1 small onion
3/4 cup water
olive oil (i probably used about 4 tbls)
sea salt & pepper to tast

*Dice and saute the garlic and onions in olive oil for about 3-5 min or until lightly browned
*Add the rice and stir to give it a nice coating
*Add the can of tomatoes/chilis (these had an amazing flavor with a nice amount of heat)
*Add salt & pepper (you can always add more later)
*Add water, let boil and then simmer with covered pot for about 25-30 min.
*Fluff with a fork and add fresh cilantro to the top

You may want to try substituting the water for vegetable or chicken broth...always a great way to add a little extra flavor to your rice.

No comments: