Monday, December 8, 2008

Worst venue award!?

I love a good rock show, but there are certain venues that can put a damper on even your very favorite band... My personal award for worst NYC music venue goes to (drum roll please) Webster Hall.

I have managed to stay away for a long time, but was invited by some friends to go see a Nada Surf/Delta Spirit show last night. So here's what you can expect along with your rock... giant thug like dudes with ear pieces patrolling the joint constantly with flashlights and trying to find reasons to kick people out, bad sound and my favorite, the tiny $9 well drink. Seriously, $9 for a small cup (probably 5-6oz). Last night we also had the added bonus of a non-heated room when it was in the teens outside. So after paying the $3 per item coat check, you realized that you actually needed to be wearing your coat.

I did actually have a very good time at the show last night. Delta Spirit was one of the best opening bands I have seen in a long time and Nada Surf did not disappoint. But next time, I'm hoping to catch them at Bowery or Music Hall of Williamsburg.

Webster Hall can keep the velvet ropes and thug bouncers. I just want the rock.

No comments: